Monday, August 3, 2009

Day in Brooklyn via East Village


photo by me: Vintage finds in Brooklyn



Leonora Russo
photo by Jake Chessum, New York Magazine
Look Book by Amy Larocca

Staying local this weekend, I went to brunch with one of my dearest friends in the east village on Saturday. She travels for work a lot so it's always a treat to snag her while she's in town. We met at Cafe Orlin on St. Marks Place. It was great to sit outside chatting & people watching while we ate. I was so happy to have a lazy, slow summer brunch before fall arrives. By the way, the pumpkin pancakes there are divine! I haven't really been in the east village much lately but it's pretty much a guarantee to be inspired by the cool, edgy style all around. It's a place where the envelope is pushed with fashion. The people down there are self styled without looking like their in costume.

After brunch, we headed over to Brooklyn for a little vintage shopping. I'm soooo excited about the new pieces I found for the store! We poked around Williamsburg all afternoon. Once we exhausted ourselves shopping, we went to a cute little dessert shop for some refreshments. Sitting next to us on a bench out front was the famous Leonora Russo. She's known as the "Queen of Williamsburg". I was amazed at how she knew everyone walking by us by name. I mean everyone! I guess that's what happens when you live somewhere for 60 years. She seemed to have a very bold but fun personality that was directly reflected in her style! That's what I love about New York, the characters that exist in each neighborhood. Despite the constant change of the city, it really does have it's permanent fixtures.

3 comments:

  1. my best friend lives in the East Village, reading this post reminded me of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red and white dress!!!! Everything is too cute! You make me want to go shopping in the East Village!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which dessert shop did y'all go to?

    That sounds like a fun and relaxing day in the city!

    ReplyDelete